Friday 25 October 2013

Researching similar 'Forest' short films and colour grades

I am interested in filming in a forest to suggest a 'fairytale environment', therefore I have looked at similar themed 'short films' to gather some ideas.



In these films, there is a sense of calm and wonderment, through slow panning movements and close ups of elements of the forest. There seems to be a trend of antiquation in the colour of these pieces, whilst this is visually pleasing, as part of my research/experimentation I will have to vary this. In my opinion these colour schemes signify the ethereal and ancient nature of the forest, rather than that of 'fantasy'. The 'silent' visitor of the forest also seems to be a recurring film in these types of film, they offer some form of interest to the piece. With my practical I could possibly have a person explore a forest, without speaking they won't detract from the visuals as much.

 
Growing is Forever from Jesse Rosten on Vimeo.

This latter video doesn't involve a person, instead relying on spoken words and imagery. If I am interested in creating a film that mainly focuses on the use of colour, perhaps this would be a way of expressing this. However, the implication is that the spoken word would be the main indicator of narrative, so perhaps the 'silent' visitor of the forest would be a better narrative element than the above. The general consensus in these films however, is that the forest should be marvelled at and illustrated with pondering, long shots and slow music. These are perhaps elements I will incorporate into my piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment