Monday 4 March 2013

Introduction to Compositing Maya into a scene

Our first introduction to incorporating Maya into After Effects involved a trial run of compositing our 'ships' (or in my case a very rough blocking of one) into a scene. 


This personally was one of the first After Effects 'tutorial' lesson we'd had where I was actually getting excited at the opportunities in the software and the processes towards creating a 'realistic' incorporation of computer-generated aspects. Adding things, such as the reflection of the clouds, to the buildings to sell the presence of the ship 



The above is just a practice, I have since taken into account things such as shadow and light reflection/direction with my real ship, though admittedly I forgot about reflecting any clouds so may incorporate this technique again.


Recently I watched some episodes from the '9th Doctor' series of Doctor Who. Since these were from 2005 the quality of CG is a little shabby compared to what we'd expect now, though in fairness that has always been a trait of Doctor Who. I thought this was a good point of reference though, as I am aware for a first attempt at properly creating a 'ship' and incorporating it into live footage my work will definitely not be cinema standard. The ship in this clip interacts with it's environment and is coloured and lit in a way that compliments it's surroundings, these details allowsthe suspension of disbelief. As long as I keep this in mind and in some way link my ship and the buildings together, be it shadow or reflection, the 'invasion' should translate to the audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment