Saturday 30 November 2013

Concept and Collecting Footage

In the practical element for this module I want to illustrate the change of tone colour creates in film. To do this, and since I'm focusing on the idea of 'fantasy', fairytale and childhood, I'm intending to create a short narrative of someone walking through a forest, initially starting off fully 'fantasy' and slowly becoming colder (possibly darker), less magical and more 'muddy'. The rough colour plan for this is Red's/gold colours for fantasy, Green's and possibly gold for the midway stage, and bluer/blacker colder tones for the muddy 'real' world.

Earlier in the month I went out with a Lumix Gx1 to gather some reference/ stock footage, before all the leaves died. I did this over two days, the second lot of footage benefiting largely from the sun that day. Below are a handful of example stills:


The latter has more contrast and is a lot brighter, in general having 'warmer' feel. The footage shot on cloudier days is a littler flatter and colder, and will probably be used for the greener and bluer parts of the video.

Since I can't control the weather and it's getting darker and colder I wasn't expecting to get the same lighting when filming the 'character' shots, and I didn't. Instead the day was overcast, not really giving as strong colours as I'd hoped. However, since I'd been to the location the week before, I knew which areas were best for each 'colour' scene I wanted. For example, areas with yellowing/orange trees were best for the red/golden 'fantasy world'. Ultimately I plan to colour grade/edit the footage together so the shots fit together, and transition from red to green to blue. 


No comments:

Post a Comment