Thursday 7 November 2013

Synthesis Crit

With such a drastic change in idea (I had originally been looking into the 'flawed character), this crit was my first proper presentation to a large group. Compiling some of the key research I had done to get the interest of my project across, I was able to see the journey it was beginning to take and the relationship between my practical element and research.

I have been researching the genre of fantasy and fairytale, and with it gathering a further idea as to what inspires it. This is of interest to the use of colour in films of this genre, as the context of the films (usually) dictate it's aesthetic. By looking at various films within this genre, that link to a portal story in order to show contrast between fantasy and reality, I can see trends in colour and story. The interest at the moment lies in colour's link with childhood and imagination, however when receiving feedback for this crit it was suggested to look at other 'portal stories' if I was more concerned with stories involving a change.

The practical element of my research will involve creating a 'short film' that uses colour in ways similar to that of the films I analyse. By mainly focusing on the use of colour (avoiding obvious plot/speech), it's narrative potential can hopefully be tested as well as it's ability to depict fantasy. This will in turn help further understand the colour choices used in my case studies and therefore serve to enhance the points I will be making in my essay. The theory I gather in my essay, such as on the genre of fairytale fantasy, will further inspire the use of colour's and possibly the visuals, of my piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment