Thursday 18 April 2013

Story Development/Ideas - 'Scientific Video Diaries Documenting Progress'

Despite wanting to mainly focus on one scene, after a little story development I've realised I'd like to have some form of dialogue/ strong narrative to give some context to the piece. The concept at the moment is for a 'test-subject' to be beginning to be suffering from side effects from undergoing some form of experiment (side effects that will manifest themselves physically).

A constant in the three videos below is that the characters are the scientists who are performing the experiment, so dependent on how I want to present my character there's a possibility they may not only be the test subject, but also the one testing. Either way they'll be 'documenting' the process. This format of the 'Video Diary/Blog' allows the fourth wall to be broken, by the character looking directly into the camera, and the audience to directly be talked to. It also allows the camera to be locked off, which would hopefully make it easier for me to use After Effects, especially if using green screen.



The plan is for the character to be sitting down addressing the camera (as above). However narratively I quite like the idea of the 'film' to consist of a few different diary entries (e.g "Day 12 - No side effects, Day 19 - Starting to feel funny). This would also allow a little more movement in the performance (specifically where effects aren't really needed) and add a little more character to the edit.



I also should take into consideration who the subject is talking to - at the moment the idea that they're documenting progress so it would probably be directed to scientists, or themselves. Since it's documenting there probably won't be a large need to directly address a specific person, as the language will probably be quite factual (e.g 'I'm experiencing headaches'). The audience they are making the videos for, is probably faceless. There should also be a slight sense of isolation, so the turning on and off of the camera by the character (as Victor Frankenstein does above) is a useful way of illustrating this, it gives a bit of context. I also think by speaking directly to the camera the audience will connect with the character and hopefully care what happens to them (this however is dependent on my character, at the moment the concept I have is for them to be unsuspecting and innocent, however this could change with development).


I will draft some form of script once the concept is fully developed (eg. who the character is, what they have taken/what the experiment is etc.) as I will have to consider the tone (will it be creepy/end slightly sinister - what do the side effects mean? Is it, like in Jekyll and Hyde, a transformation into something sinister?) I plan to look into this sort of gothic literature (Jekyll and Hyde, Frankenstein, etc) for ideas and inspiration hopefully to find a tone to my project.


No comments:

Post a Comment