Thursday 1 May 2014

Hologram test

Using the green screen footage I'd taken Monday, I have begun testing out ways to create a hologram effect, which can be used once I have the main footage to comp onto.

For this test I have been following this tutorial:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/digital-video/creative-cow-after-effects-tutorials-hologram-effect/

This tutorial reminded me of little things such as typing in expressions to repeat actions e.g, loopOut("cycle") , that have proven very useful.

I'm aiming for a traditional 'hologram' style, that of lines and slight static, as seen in the vid below.


Whether or not we have light coming from the box illustrating where the hologram is coming (as seen above) will be decided once I've view the main footage the hologram will be comped on.



The fluctuating lines and slight flash give this sense of hologram. I will refine it, and key the timings slightly better in the overall shot. I feel the timings will depend on the main footage, therefore I may also have to incorporate jump cuts into the hologram in order to 'make it fit'. Obviously in this there is still elements of grid line, which I would avoid having in the final thing. It's possible that the form of this hologram is too solid, and I may have to look into distorting it, especially when the box is crushed in the shot.



The above is a quick illustration of where the hologram would be on the box. At the end Ryan goes out  of the lines of the box, however this is when it will be crushed so the hologram itself will probably be more distorted too. If this box is being found in a scrap heap, it seems like it should already be glitching, this is something I will try and further investigate.

I need to consider the light source, or a slight glow in the hologram. As well as make it a little fuzzier and 'impure'. For example the hologram's in Muse's Knights of Cydonia music video sometimes come from a source, and I should consider how the box is effected by the hologram in our film.

No comments:

Post a Comment