Tuesday 26 February 2013

Filming (Part 2) - Greenscreening

For the second Green-screening session we worked in groups dependent on which actor we were using, in my case I was with the group working with Jeff. It was a successful day and we worked with ease as a team, having enough time and people to shoot each others individual shots. Luckily Siobhan, who I planned to be my alien, was in our group anyway, so once she had directed and shot our footage she was free for me to paint whilst others shot their footage.


I'm happy with the end result of the alien, Siobhan gave a great performance and having her as the alien on set made it easier to a) position shots with Jeff - for example figuring out her eye-line etc. and b) get a more realistic performance and interaction from Jeff. It was useful having a storyboard on set, as I was able to mimic shots as well as improve them. My concept has made it's way into the footage which I take as a success. 


Lighting the scene, with an environment in mind, was a little tricky as it was important to keep the green screen as flatly lit as possible. I wanted quite shadowy lighting and this was managed by mainly lighting one side of the scene. Hopefully this will transfer once I've created my environment. When testing whether the green screen keys I have found it works quite well, despite the slightly green reflection on Siobhan's face.

I'd like to do more shoots like this, working as a team on a large scale, especially with extra props and perhaps a set, as though the green screen is useful for this module it limits the creativity behind the camera, as we have to consider the what will be composited and how the setting will look. It's refreshing to step away from the computers and create something with other people and that you can physically see and manipulate in real-life. I hope by having a 'real-life' alien I achieve a little bit of thickness to my film and that it doesn't come across as tacky.


Once I'd gathered the footage from this shoot I watched through and noted the pros and cons of each for quick reference when editing in Final Cut. 


No comments:

Post a Comment