Sunday 20 May 2012

The Legend of Zelda - Skyward Sword...Meh...

I love The Legend of Zelda, so it pains me to admit, after completing 'The Legend of Zelda - Skyward Sword' that I was...a little disappointed. Maybe I'm stuck in my N64 loving ways, but I just don't think it's anywhere near as 'epic' as Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask. 


It's not a bad game though, it's fun (especially the side-quests in Skyloft - a little like the ones in Clock Town in Majora's -the characters develop a little so quite a lot of time can be wasted helping them out) and the Wii Motion Plus works really well for the gameplay, it becomes second nature to flick or swish the wii-mote to use the sword and immerses yourself into the game. When the enemy gets difficult you find yourself on your feet fighting as if you were there. It's not perfect, but at least it doesn't seem that gimmicky, every movement has been considered to help along the story.


But it's the story that doesn't seem to do it for me, perhaps after all the hype my expectations were too high, or after Twilight Princess it seems a bit too light (I personally think the games are more dramatic when darker - such as in Majora's Mask), but I just found myself not really caring about the main storyline and wanting to stay up in Skyloft, because really what was down below? Just big Levels really, not a land to discover and explore, but tasks to constantly prove yourself. And Zelda. Who every time you almost find, goes away again...argh. I liked Zelda in the other games, because she was Wise and tough, in this I just found her annoying so wasn't too fussed she get's 'lost' - and in fairness, when half of Skyloft (including her father) don't seem to care, it's hard to muster much enthusiasm.


With this in mind I find 'Fi', the companion for this game, a bad choice of character. Her robotic tendencies may fit your sword, but takes away any emotion from a cinematic once she chimes in with 'there's a 80% chance this is what you just saw'. What was interesting in 'Twilight Princess' was the development of your relationship with Midna, 'Skyward Sword' doesn't take anything from this companionship, and instead gives you something cold and metallic.


However, this is just my opinion, the game has gotten great reviews - as seen here: http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/121/1212220p1.html so it's doing something right, but I just can't agree with the claim it's better than Ocarina of Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment