Monday 7 May 2012

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King video game.

I'm a little stuck in my ways and don't really have any of the new consoles myself, so thought I'd have a little play on my beloved Gamecube for some research for my own game setting.
I ended up playing 'Lord of the Rings: Return of the King' - since I've looked in general at Lord of the Rings and my setting seems to be quite inspired by it. The game may not have the best graphics but I find really fun - especially on multiplayer.


Quite a few 'levels' are just arena's to fight - which was quite useful to see the use of space.

One level I found quite useful was 'Road to Isengard', as it's through a forest. My setting at the moment, despite my intentions for it to be in a forest, doesn't look like it's in one, so looking at the way trees have been made here - they seem quite simply but effectively textured and built. I'm probably going to have to model a few more trees and broken logs for my setting. I am also considering creating a sort of 'backdrop' of tall trees - which would save having to add a lot of trees on with terrain - and should be effective since the first person controller shouldn't reach it.

The game also showed how terrain can be textured to create a sense of location - and that I shouldn't worry too much about 'bare' areas as long as i texture the ground enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment