Sunday 23 October 2011

Chris Appelhans


I'm attempting to draw my elevations for my setting (it's taking a while) - but still want to have some 'concept art' showing my character interacting with the setting. 


This is why this artist has caught my eye, the angle (framing) of the pictures help illustrate things like dominance and an air of terror - these are well thought out and help illustrate the 'feel' of the setting.  The use of colour helps enhance the mood and there's a luminosity to them which I think is really effective. The characters aren't 'facing forward' and are preoccupied with what's going on, causing the image to be more engaging. They're all slightly dark in mood and colours - an effect I think I should incorporate (with shadows etc) as my setting is technically underground - I think I should also adopt an interesting perspective too. (For example I really like the second to last picture here, seen through a window, with a hand reaching.)


for a better view of these pictures (and more) created by Chris Appelhans go to:
http://www.froghatstudios.com/mh/mh.html

No comments:

Post a Comment