Saturday 22 October 2011

A-Ha - Take on Me

So I'm not too happy with the flip-book animations I've produced - they're either quite static or too scruffy to look decent, so I'm hoping to make another attempt (if I have enough time left) to attempt a smoother more interesting hand-drawn animation. 
Which leads me onto A-Ha's  classic Take On Me music Video :). I love this video - it's brilliant- so I thought I'd look back to see what makes it so good.


^ (Literal Version)
Original (couldn't embed) :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914&ob=av2e

This animation isn't standard 'flip-book' but is all hand-drawn. It used a combination of pencil-sketch animation and live-action (rotoscoping). This is basically when each frame of the live action footage is then 'traced over' to create a really smooth life like image - which I think is achieved here, the squiggles and illustrative form adding to the effect of an animation but not hindering the overall characters movement. This took Approximately (according to Wikipedia) 3,000 frames - (taking 16 weeks).


I think if I attempt another animation I should try make my images as consistent as possible, yet add quite a lot of movement, thinking about angles and the overall effect I want, as well as perhaps 'cutting' into different 'camera angles' to tell the story more fluently (than having a 'fixed' camera) 

No comments:

Post a Comment