Friday 13 January 2012

Pixar - Luxo Jr.

Pixar Animation Studios first animation, 'Luxo Jr', illustrates how inanimate objects can be given character through animation. Despite lacking facial features both lamps have personality yet still uses movement that keeps within the limitations of their structure. This 'truth to materials' brings more life to the animation, as they seem and move like a lamp would, if they were to bend and stretch as if they were a softer material it would not seem as effective.


Both have their own personalities too in the way they move, e.g Luxo Jr being more child-like (and small) something I should take into account if using two versions of my model (Little and Large). This animation is quite relevant as the Lamps are little and large, I should consider how each act - e.g the Little being quicker and lighter than Large, who may be heavier. I could also have Little being quite energetic, with more excitable expressive movement, and Large being more dominating and scary, with more considered movement perhaps.  


This animation also highlights that a simple idea can be effective, the concept and the environment is not too busy, but is fitting and well executed.


I look at this animation as well because it reminds me of my second initial storyboard, which involves a 'yarn of string' (in basics as ball) and interaction with it. However I'm leaning more towards my first idea so will be experimenting with what I can do in Maya more to favour that idea. I am also considering how I can add personality to my model through it's movement (rather than expressions) to make it clearer it has character.



No comments:

Post a Comment