Monday 6 May 2013

Character and Story Development

I've been struggling a little bit with the development of my character for this story, the more I attempted to set it in a  slightly dystopian, stylised environment the more complex it became and the more I realised I'd have to create a lot of backstory and context, which then would need to be present in the design of the 'set' as well as hinted at in the script. I looked into 'gothic sceince' literature, such as the short story 'The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar (1845)' by Edgar Allan Poe, for inspiration. His prose are quite lyrical and I began trying to go down that route, attempting to imagine my character's monologue. However I think, in the case of this project, I've little time to write and create something that tonally descriptive without it being a rush job. 



In Being Human (BBC) Series 2, there is a 'facility' that aims to cure werewolves, though it's built on good intentions it has a horror element and ends up quite bloody. I want to avoid this complete 'horror'/despair tone whilst still keeping the air of unease, of something going a little wrong, in my film. I also like the idea of the 'subject' being a willing participant, actively engaging in the experiment, though a little naive as to what it entails.


Again I was getting nowhere when developing a lot of the character, the complexity and 'rules' of where she was and her being branded 'No. 19' (a concept I still like..) was becoming really messy. Taking a step back I've realised it'll be a lot easier in the time frame and narratively, to simplify this a lot. By this I mean I'd set the scene as a form of 'University Experiment', such as the Stanford University experiment, this would explain the age of the participant (my actor is a student) as well as the location (I am using part of the college). It would also mean I wouldn't need to worry too much about context regarding era etc. 

Information regarding the Stanford Prison experiement: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment

No comments:

Post a Comment