Friday 17 May 2013

Competition - #artissmart


Though it's not necessarily specifically related to 'Digital Film, Games and Animation' I decided to give a fun Twitter competition a go. On Twitter last Monday,Gerard Way ( Lead Vocalist of My Chemical Romance, writer of the comic The Umbrella Academy) sent out the following tweet:

Best drawing/art of my twitter icon gets something special. You must be the original artist. Any medium is accepted-paint,pen,digital,etc


This then became a competition to be judged on the Friday, with people getting involved by tagging their work with #artissmart. I really enjoyed taking part as it built a sense of community as people were happy to share their work and comment on each others, giving help to any one who asked for it. It allowed me to find some other artists I wouldn't have necessarily found without doing this. This was my 'entry', drawn with pencil and coloured pens:


I didn't win, but didn't expect to. If anything the best part for me about 'entering this competition' was that it got me excited about creating things again, as recently I've been in a bit of a lull. Though I'm on this course I do still really enjoy working with and on more traditional media, such as drawing portraits and painting etc. and taking part in this reminded me of this. It renewed a little confidence in my artistic ability, especially when I received such positive feedback, and I'm inspired to create more work over summer.


In all honesty I find PPP a hard module, as, though I see it's motivations in pushing us towards industry figures and situations, I sometime feel restricted and restrained by it. I entered this because it looked like a lot of fun and I was excited to put my time into something enjoyable. This is something I hadn't found in other competitions, as I felt an added pressure that I would be forcing it 'for PPP' rather than willing spending time on it for myself.

Despite expressing an interest in the more film/VFX based aspects of the course I still want to improve on my drawing skills and will definitely attempt to find more time to work on them. There's something a little more organic with more 'traditional' forms of art that is sometimes lost when working with digital forms of media. It's something that bothers me a little and is possibly something I will investigate further in my final year, finding a way to use digital processes in a less 'mechanical' way or to enhance  work created away from the computer screen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment