Saturday 4 May 2013

My Essay and how it relates to my interests.

I decided to write my Context of Practice Module Essay on how the Internet is effecting Transmedia narratives using 'The Lizzie Bennet Diaries' as an example.

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries is an adaptation of Jane Austen's 'Pride and Prejudice' told in the form of Vlogs through YouTube. What interested me about it was that it's presented, to an extent, as being 'real'. Lizzie (title character) directly addresses the audience in the same way people on YouTube do in their 'real' video blogs. The story unfolds in small chunks twice a week giving a sense of real time, which is further enhanced through the 'Characters' use of Twitter and other social media sites.



I really enjoyed the series so thought writing about it would be beneficial. However I do think by picking it apart I ruined it a little for myself, since a lot of Transmedia narratives that are done well work by blending seamlessly into the audiences life.

Though theories about more modern Transmedia narratives are interesting, there are some that seem to attempt to create a 'template' in which the narratives work instead of giving more credit to the actual content and ambition of the creators. User-based content such as this and other work on YouTube interests me a lot as it allows the creators to have a large amount of freedom and control over their work. The relationship between the audience too is highly important in this media and is something I touched on in my essay, by treating the audience as an equal content and creator gains a level of respect, something I will hopefully keep in mind with future work and presentation of my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment